Results of their searches
- The firm has a high past success rate with our company.
- Search firm-placed employees must have higher performance, performance appraisal scores, promotions, bonuses etc. than employees from other hiring sources.
- Must be cost-effective (lower cost vs. benefits (lower cost vs. benefits). than other methods of recruiting .
- The use of this executive search firm must result in a __% higher overall recruitment and selection success rate than other firms and strategies.
- Must be able to demonstrate a positive ROI on the use of their services over those of regular internal recruiters. It’s rates do not exceed industry standards.
- Recruited candidates request lower starting salaries than equally qualified candidates from other sources.
- Search firm-referred candidates must yield a higher offer acceptance and a lower turnover rate than the general applicant pool.
- Fulfills __% of searches on time, under budget and within specifications.
- The overall time to hire must be faster than using our own recruiters.
- Must have verifiable track record of successfully locating and placing qualified candidates for this position with other benchmark firms (our competitors?).
- In a “side by side” search they provide the best candidates in the allotted time period.
Quality of their database
- Must be able to prove (quantify) to us that they have the “best” (qualified) recruitment database for our position.
- The firms data base must contain qualified candidates that we have not identified.
- Must have a diverse data base that will provide us with a minimum of __% diverse referrals. Does their database contain candidates from geographic regions where we have offices / needs?
- Do they have an international database and capabilities?
- How old / dated are the resumes in their database. Is it continually updated?
- Does the database include “non-active” job seekers? Superstars? Soon to be superstars? And lesser known superstars?
- Search firm-provided employees must demonstrate a lower turnover rate as compared to those hired through other sources (a ___% retention rate for the 1st year).
- Search firm must be able to demonstrate that it has wide industry contacts and candidates from our targeted benchmark firms.
- Must provide “pre-screened” candidates that result in a __% or less of rejection rate of unqualified” candidates in our searches.
Processes and services
- Use of the search firm must reduce time spent by the our executives and internal recruiter on each requisition.
- Must assign the best (specified) search consultant or consultant team to our account.
- The firm has a worldwide data base and the capability to recruit in all countries that we have offices and needs.
- Must show that their recruitment and sourcing methods and practices are the most advanced available, and are reliable, and valid.
- Search firm must demonstrate a working knowledge of our culture and placements must fit into our corporate culture more rapidly than the norm.
- The search firm must utilize the best state-of-the-art technology available (on-line databases, Web tools, Extranets etc.)
- The search firm has done a “dry run” (snapshot) search and it’s results are superior to our own efforts and those of other firms.
- Search firm must demonstrate that they can anticipate and identify potential recruiting and hiring problems (and their solutions).
- The search consultant teaches us how to “do it better ourselves” as well as placing candidates.
- They practice “relationship recruiting” over an extended periods of time with potential candidates. This means that candidates are assessed over a period of time and that their “real” needs are known to the recruiter.
- Do they offer a guarantee? How often has it been necessary?
- Do they have a “no raid or poach” policy and a track record to back it up?
- Is the firm retained or contingent? Are they ranked or rated near the top of their field.
- Firm has “instant / emergency” search capability.
- Has the firm done a sufficient volume of recent searches for this job to demonstrate their current competency?
- During candidate assessment, the firm must use weights for our required competencies and rate the candidates using numbers.
- Must provide an accurate candidate assessment score similar to ours.
- They demonstrate that they provide immediate follow-up and feedback after meetings and interviews.
- They have a local office or are in “town” on a regular basis.
Customer service and responsiveness
- Must provide accurate and timely candidate synopsis / summaries and consistent evaluations. Candidate profiles must include accurate assessments of their needs and decision criteria.
- Firm response time and customer satisfaction rate exceeds the industry average, even during busy and off-cycle periods.
- Search firm must be capable of rapidly adjusting and modifying its procedures to meet our changing needs. They know our business, competitors, products and customers.
- The search firm listens to our needs and are flexible and willing to readjust procedures if our business needs require it.
- Will the recruiter maintain a relationship with our firm after the placement to ensure the success of the placement. Placed candidates have a high (__%) satisfaction rate with the search firm and the recruiter.
- Must demonstrate a rapid response time and a record of immediate follow-up and feedback to our requests.
- Use of the search firm must reduce the time spent by the internal recruiter and the line manager on each requisition.
- Search firm must verify that each candidate has not previously applied to our firm (thereby eliminating disputes over whether a fee is owed by our firm).
- Their firm has a low turnover rate for it’s search consultants.
- Our managers rate the quality of the service and candidates provided as excellent.
Legal issues, values and ethics
- The firm has an exceptional track record in privacy / confidentiality and conflict of interest matters.
- Must have a track record of professional representation of clients in such a way to attract the top candidates and to protect our reputation.
- Does the firm / recruiter have a history of attempting to “go around” / or circumventing HR and dealing directly with line management?
- Must have a zero complaint rate for adherence to applicable Federal and state employment laws. (ADA, EEOC, Title VII etc.)
- Sourcing / pre-screening methods must guarantee/ demonstrate no adverse impact. Or no disparate treatment.
- Must have a recent proven track record in our industry ( positive references (__% or above) at our benchmark firms) of adherence to high ethical standards (NAER / AESC).
- The percentage of lawsuits and complaints must be below our internal rates.
- Must use best available objective system to assess KSA’s and to ensure only valid “knockout factors” are utilized.
- The executive search firm must demonstrate a working knowledge and adherence with our corporate values and culture. They should also know our business needs.
© November, 1998
As seen on Gately Consutling